Skip to main content
Get your brand new Wikispaces Classroom now
and do "back to school" in style.
MSU Campus Archaeology
Pages and Files
1887 Construction at College Hall
2 Green houses
2 Poultry Houses 1904 - ?
2nd Coal shed
4 Isolation Hospitals 1909 - ?
Abbott Hall 1888 - ?
Adams Field (dedicated 1999 - present)
Agricultural Laboratory >Cook Hall< 1889 - present
Agriculture Hall 1909 - present
Armory (1885 - 1939)
Artillery Garage (1918 - 1928)
Bacteriological Laboratory >Marshall-Adams Hall< 1902 - Present
Barn 1868 - ?
Barns around Campus
Bath House 1889 - ?
Beaumont Tower (1928 - present)
Brick farm House 1869 - ?
Brick Horse Barn 1872 - ?
Add "All Pages"
Saints' Rest 1857 - 1876
Saints' Rest was constructed in 1856 and burned, December 9, 1876. Michigan State University Campus Archaeology excavated this site in 2005
Quote from Dr. R. C. Kedzie
"This Boarding hall was a three-story brick structure, having a parlor, living rooms for the steward, his family and the kitchen help, and a large dining room in which all the students and some of the faculty live 'in commons.' Appliances for cooking with steam were introduced. The rooms in the second and third stories were assigned to the students, four in a room, but only a few students could be accommodated and there was no opportunity for an overflow into farm houses in the neighborhood. The condition of the road between Lansing and the College made it impossible for students to live in the city while they attended classes at the College, hence many students were rejected for want of room, who returned home to spread discouraging reports about the College. "
A 2005 MSU Archaeological Field School conducted an excavation at Saints' Rest
is a link to the online exhibit.
Beal, "A History of Michigan Agricultural College," Pg 267. Lansing Michigan, Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co. 1915.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"