Cowles' House was one of the first structures on MSU's campus, serving as one of the four Faculty Row houses built in 1857.

"During 1857, four dwelling houses, long since number 4,5,6 and 7, for the use of president and professors were erected. Later Each of these was considerably enlarged and otherwise altered, four and six partially destroyed by fire."

"Dwelling No. 4 was first occupied by President Williams; No. 5, by Professor Fisk; No. 6 by Professor Goadby; No. 7, by President Abbot." A.E. Macomber, a student '57--'59. [1]
  1. ^ Beal, "A History of Michigan Agricultural College," Pg 267. Lansing Michigan, Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co. 1915