Beaumont Tower was built in 1928 to commemorate College Hall . Beaumont Tower stands just to the north of where the northeast corner of College Hall is located.

John W. Beaumont
John W. Beaumont was born in Elizabeth, New Jersey on July 20, 1858 and came to Michigan in 1875. He graduated from the college in 1882 and was admitted to the bar in Saginaw in 1884. Two years later, he began practicing law in Detroit. Mr. Beaumont served as a seaman on the U.S.S. Yosemite in 1898 during the Spanish American War. On April 1, 1908, Beaumont and his partners started the law firm Beaumont, Smith, and Harris. John Beaumont ranked as one of Detroit's foremost lawyers. Between 1904 and 1906 he served as judge advocate of the Michigan National Guards. He also served as an elected member of the State Board of Agriculture from 1912-1924. Over the years, he also served as director of several corporations, including the Hudson Motor Car Company, the International ridge Company, the Michigan Fire and Marine Insurance Company, and the Thomas Berry Chemical Company.

After the collapse of College Hall in 1918 and the burning of two adjacent dormitories, Campus Circle became vulnerable to new development. An artillery garage had been built on top of the foundations of College Hall in 1918, and plans were being made to construct multiple new buildings within the Circle. The "Save the Circle" campaign was initiated by the M.S.C. alumni, who wanted to preserve the area as a "sacred space." Believing that the spot where the artillery garage stood deserved a more aesthetic memorial, Beaumont presented his plan to replace the garage with a memorial tower. The memorial tower was to preserve the memory of College Hall, a place that had given Beaumont the greatest pleasures of his student days. Work on the tower began in 1928 and was dedicated on Alumni Day, June 22, 1929. Due to illness, John Beaumont and his wife were unable to attend. Hon. William L. Carpenter, class of 1875 and long time friend of the Beaumonts, spoke on their behalf. In his speech, Carpenter stated that:
"Mr. Beaumont believes, and has long believed, that what he recieved from his four years' work and training, and especially what he got from his association during these years with strong and kindly members of the faculty, contributed more than any other single factor to make his life successful and useful...Several years ago Mr. and Mrs. Beaumont determined to do some thing to testify their gratitude for what the college had done for Mr. Beaumont. This gift received long and careful consideration, and they finally decided it should be a memorial tower to be erected on this site. The tower is given in the belief and with the hope that it will revive and preserve Old College hall memories and be a spiritual inspiration to the present generation of graduates and students, and to those who may come after them."

John Beaumont only saw his memorial tower once, during his last visit to campus in 1937; however he frequently listend to the radio programs when he knew the tower chimes were to be played. John Beaumont lived to be 83 years old and died July 17, 1941. His love and devotion for his alma matter lives on today through the memorial tower that he and his wife graciously donated to the university. Today, Beaumont Tower stands upon the highest point of the cirlce as Michigan State's crown jewel and most iconic building.

For a further discussion on John W. Beaumont, please read Campus Archaeology intern David Lewandowski's blog post.