"The barns, erected during many years, by many different persons, were a miscellaneous lot, not arranged with much system.

In the new re-arrangement of farm buildings, as seen in 1906, Professor Shaw had in mind 1) Save the travel of attendants, 2) centralize the position of the manure shed, 3) not to scatter to widely the food supplies, 4) for convenience of inspecting the live stock, 5) to protect from fire.

'What was known as the grain barn, across the road from the farm house, was moved south and west, opposite the dairy barn , and joined to the grade herd barn, which was moved back the previous year; these two buildings were converted into a structure 45x150 feet and are used entirely by the grade beef and dairy herds, accommodating in all about one hundred head. The annex to the old beef barn, a structure 25x94 feet, standing close to the agricultural laboratory , was moved due south and placed at right angles to the grade-herd barn. this building has been refitted and now houses the nine bulls owned by the College, which were formerly scattered around in the numerous buildings. The sheep barn , 34x90 feet, was also moved due south and placed west of the grade herd barn, 150 feet from it. To this has been added 60 feet more, which forms the western boundary of a court, and on the north by the new horse barn, the northeast corner of which is only a few feet from the piggery as now located. What was known as the experiment station cattle barn has been removed to a point opposite the railroad track from the old engine house, and has been converted into a hospital for the control of disease as they may break out in the herds and flocks, and also for the handling of diseased animals which may be shipped in for investigation purposes." [1]
  1. ^ ^ Beal, "A History of Michigan Agricultural College," Pg 283. Lansing Michigan, Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co. 1915